If you have severely damaged, diseased or injured teeth, your dentist may recommend crown and bridge treatment. A crown is a dental restoration that fully covers a tooth and becomes the tooth’s new outer surface. A bridge is also a dental restoration that is anchored to natural teeth. However, a bridge replaces and fills the gap left by multiple missing teeth. Both crowns and bridges are made from a variety of materials and can be matched to the color of your natural teeth. Unlike removable dental devices like dentures, crowns and bridges are permanently affixed to existing teeth or implants allowing them to look and function similarly to natural teeth.
In addition to restored function and appearance, crowns and bridges offer a host of additional benefits including:
- Dental crowns protect and strengthen the natural tooth, helping you to avoid extraction.
- Crowns are the final step in root canal treatment, protecting the tooth from bacteria that could re-infect the treated tooth.
- Crowns and bridges restore missing teeth and support the remaining teeth.
- Your natural bite is restored and maintained with crown and bridge treatment.
- Placement of crowns and bridges improve your speech, smile and chewing function.
- Adjacent teeth are prevented from shifting and tilting with crown and bridge treatment.
- Crowns and bridges are long-lasting, predictable and durable.
- Placement of crowns and bridges is quick and can usually be completed in as little as two appointments.
- Alternatives to crown and bridgework, like dental implants, are usually more invasive requiring surgery and possibly bone grafting to place the implant.
Consult with your dentist to find out more about the advantages of crowns and bridges and how they can help to restore your healthy smile.
Our dental office is located in Longview